GastroGays's Halloumi Flatbread Recipe
Boyne Valley Flavours: Halloumi Flatbread
Summer has hit and hopefully the weather plays ball and anoints us all in endless sunshine, providing ample al fresco dining opportunities. Whether you’re a barbecue novice or not, that welcome hint of smoke in food tells us summer is here –– especially when paired with lighter dishes and more subtle ingredients like salads. We love grilling meat and fish, but there's something about vegetables that truly take on the smoke and char of the barbecue, so in this vegetarian flatbread recipe we’re filling it with as much local Boyne Valley produce as we can.
We adore the hand-harvested, pesticide and artificial fertiliser-free leaves grown in Ardee by Mark and Helen from Coole Farm and here we’ve really prioritised these as the star, alongside some barbecued courgette and griddled halloumi. A duo of sauces - thinned scape sauce from Drummond House Garlic and Great Northern Larder hot sauce - bring buckets of flavour together, plus a final drizzle of Newgrange Gold Smokey Rapeseed Oil further highlights that kiss of smoke throughout and Oriel Sea Salt is great for seasoning!
You can easily make this recipe vegan by omitting the cheese, or using a vegan substitute like dollops of cashew cream.
- Coole Farm Mixed Salad and Rocket Leaves, washed
- 1 block of Halloumi, sliced in lengths (you could use feta, or any crumbly cheese)
- Smooth Hummus
- 1 small courgette, skin-on and sliced in lengths or in rounds
- Great Northern Larder hot sauce
- Drummond House garlic scape sauce
- Shop-bought flatbreads or wraps
- Oriel Sea Salt, to season
- Newgrange Gold Smoky Rapeseed Oil (optional)
- Start by lightly oiling your courgettes, prepared how you like either in ribbons or rounds, and cooking on the bbq (or pan-frying) turning every so often to ensure golden-spotted even colouring on both sides, then remove to a plate to cool.
- Follow with the halloumi (either on the bbq or pan-fried) until well-coloured on both sides, then remove to a plate to cool slightly.
- To assemble, start with your flatbread and spread a liberal few tbsp of hummus on the bottom, followed with a generous handful of your washed and dried Coole Farm salad leaves.
- Then, place the courgette and the halloumi around the leaves and follow with dollops of the Drummond House Garlic Scape Sauce (thinned with a little water to drizzling consistency) and the Great Northern Larder hot sauce. If you have any chive flowers or wild garlic flowers these are beautiful as a final garnish before enjoying outdoors!